Saturday, August 1, 2009

Farmers Market at Market Square = My latest obsession

I'm a sucker for routine, and right now I'm obsessed with the Farmers Market at Market Square on Thursdays. I meet a great friend and her two kids, we let them run around at home or at a park, and then we trek with strollers to Market Square to find some of Pittsburgh's tastiest eats.

First stop, Cinco De Mayo for the most amazing salsas. I'm a corn and black bean salad junkie, but I just added a mildly spicy black bean dip to my repertoire. It's literally lunch for two days, and then it's gone. I usually end up buying pie and/or fresh blueberries from Sand Hill, head to Gosia's Pierogies to pick up our weekly Thursday dinner, and the piece de resistance - the Greek couple that sells tastiest Moussaka, Greek lasagna (no idea how to pronounce it), spinach pies and baklava I have ever had! Thank goodness I walk everywhere or I'd be 500 pounds! I know renovations on the Square are starting now, so I'm curious to see how the Farmers Market continues to operate. It runs through December!

We also make sure to stop at Mancini's, where they always give kids a free breadstick. What a fabulous gesture, and good for business too! Thanks to that breadstick I'm now hooked on cinnamon swirl loaves! Thanks kiddo... ugh.

No comments: